Remember how, after seven years, the Brussels Girl Geek Dinners would come to an end? Well, one of our Brussels Girl Geeks didn’t want the story to end here, so she decided to launch “Belgian Girl Geeks”.
Belgian Girl Geeks will organize free events completely in line with the concept of our Brussels Girl Geek Dinners & the mission statement from the global girl geek dinner network.
Locations will vary so expect events in all provinces of our country, hence the name change from Brussels into Belgian ;-)
The 1st event has just been announced and will be an interactive Treasure Hunt via Beacons in Antwerp on Saturday 31st of May from 10h00 until 13h30.
I have mostly fond memories of the past six or seven years that the Brussels Girl Geek Dinners exist. But now it’s time for a new story. #BGGD62 is the last one organised by me.
What happens next is up to you. The domain name expires in August, so we still have some time to decide. I’m open to your ideas.
Should someone else take over?
Should we go with a bang?
Or is it simply time for something entirely different?
- To break down old fashioned social stereotypes.
- To identify routes around barriers to entry for anyone to get into technology.
- To encourage and nurture those interested in technology.
- To work with local schools, colleges and universities to encourage more women into the technology industry.
- To support those currently in the industry and work together to figure out the issues and the solutions.
- To include men, women and children in this journey…. and not exclude men from Girl Geek Dinner Events
My personal addition to that is that BGGD should be free and open, in any sense of those words. I really dislike the idea of asking an entrance fee for a girl geek dinner.
What do you think?
Please have a good hard look at the attendees list at http://twikilist.com/BGGD62
There are no less than 65 girl geeks on the waiting list. So if you think you might not make it to Brussels this Tuesday, take your name off the list (or ask me to do it for you).
Thanks to Samsung we can keep the 62nd edition of Brussels Girl Geek Dinner free.
Let’s have a look at their latest innovations and discover how you can organise your life with Samsung products and solutions.
During this evening, we’ll be able to experience how Samsung’s different products communicate the more and more with each other and how this can be relevant in a consumer and business environment.
The following hero products will be launched:
- Smartphone: S5
- Refrigerator: Food showcase
- Washing machine: Crystal Blue
- Audio Video: new curved UHD line-up and multiroom (sound)
- Digital Imaging: new range Smart camera’s 3.0
- IT: new UHD monitor
- Business Solutions
See you on the 25th!
If I had to pick only one of the speakers at the past six or seven years of Brussels Girl Geek Dinners, I’d pick Belgian designer, dj, mom and entrepreneur Murielle Scherre. At #BGGD13 in 2009 she was one of the speakers and now she’s back!
>>> Still free on the 25th? Add your name to the Twikilist to get in for free! <<<
The evening in a nutshell:
- 18:30 Registration, drinks & food
- 19:15 Welcome word by Clo Willaerts & Samsung
- 19:30 Hero product Tour + Murielle Scherre about a day in her life
- 21:30 Goodie bag
Brussels Expo – Paleis 3, Keizerin Charlottelaan 6, 1020 Brussel Brussels Expo – Palais 3, Avenue Impératrice Charlotte 6, 1020 Bruxelles
Parking A at the Keizerin Charlottelaan/Avenue Impératrice Charlotte. A few minutes’ walk from Paleis/Palais 3.
Available from iTunes (http://bit.ly/KLv4jS) as of… today.
Want to try it out? Grab one of these promo codes before they’re gone:
Twestival is the largest grassroots social media fundraising initiative in the world. It is a global movement that uses social media for social good, empowering communities around the world to organise one of a kind offline events in support of a great local cause of their choice. All events are 100% volunteer run, and all ticket sales and donations go directly to the projects they support.
This year Brussels’ own Twestival #BRUTwestival will be focusing on the theme of storytelling with the use of our new best friend – the hashtag – this symbol that is invading our lives, and ads and TV screens can be a handy little accompaniment to your quest online.
As eloquently portrayed here by your current pop-idols Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake:
The afternoon at #MuntPunt will be spent exploring storytelling, the essence of the tale, in a library, where technology and twitter abounds as well as revealing some social media savvy acquired by journalists and practitioners, as well as others who use it in their work and life.
- Brita: water jug
- Pimlico: deco textile heart pattern
- J-line: wall clock p’tit maurice ·
- Souks en Sauna: free entry to sauna complex
- Zone: marinade roller
- De Laurier: decorative soaps
- Box3: colour cards
- Riverdale: trendy notebook
- Souks & Sauna: free entry to sauna complex + free pair sauna slippers
The 61th edition of Brussels Girl Geek Dinner is all about deco & interior design trends. Four speakers from the industry will inspire us with interactive sessions, upcoming trends and of course… a few giveaways and a marvellous goodie bag!
In a nutshell:
Date: Wednesday 20 November 2013
Topic: DIY FTW @zelfbouwmarkt
Attendees: 50 (female only)
- 19:00 Registration, drinks & sandwiches
- 19:15 Welcome word by Clo Willaerts + Stijn Desmet (commercial director Zelfbouwmarkt)
- 19:20 Hilde Francq (Box3 bvba – predicting and combining colours): Colour trends autumn/winter 2014
- 19:45 Stijn Heytens (Unilin Flooring/Quick Step) interconnected customer experience
- 20:10 Peter Melaerts (Damixa Belgium): When Design makes sense
- 20:35 N.N. (Philips Belgium): interactive lighting test session + contest
- 21:00 Network drinks and goodie bag + Zelfbouwmarkt contest
The 60th edition of Brussels Girl Geek Dinner is all about the love for design. Italian design brand Calligaris explains how they are able to create affordable design furniture. Olivier Depoorter from Depot Design gives tips and tricks on design hunting: find the best quality for the best price.
Remember: you have until
23 27 November to vote for the pictures!
Tonight’s girl geek dinner is fully booked. Are you on the attendees list but can’t make it? Remove your name from the list, or ask me to do it for you, so the reserves get a chance to get in.
Depot Design has its own private parking space at the back of the building (GPS: Zwart Paartstraat). If you arrive early, you can try if there’s space left there.
For a public car park close by (500m walking distance):
Q-Park Nieuwe Graanmarkt 2, 1000 Brussel
See you tonight!
One of the activities during #BGGD60 is Pinterest safari. Here’s how it works:
- Participants are invited to visit the showroom and pin every piece of design they like.
- Every pin will be repinned on a dedicated board on Depot Design’s Pinterest account.
- The participant who pinned the most repinned/liked item on that board by 23 November wins a 250 euro voucher to spend at Depot Design!
The 60th edition of Brussels Girl Geek Dinner is all about the love for design. And how you can use Pinterest to feed that love…
In a nutshell:
Date: Wednesday 13 November 2013
Topic: Pinterest safari @depotdesignbxl
Attendees: 50 (female only)
- 18h30 – Registration, drinks & sandwiches
- 19h00 – Welcome word by Clo Willaerts
- 19h10 – Introduction by Olivier Depoorter, founder of Depot Design
- 19h20 – Presentation by Massimo Cian, Head of Style and Design of Calligaris
- 19h40 – Pinterest Safari
- 20h30 – Q&A with Olivier Depoorter; Drink & networking
- 22h – End
Depot Design Take a look inside with Google Streetview!
Quai du Hainaut 19, 1080 Bruxelles
Henegouwenkaai 19, 1080 Brussel
diy days Ghent is a free international social innovation conference. At the core of this event is a fundamental question: How can creativity and digitalization reduce unemployment?
Unemployment is a growing challenge: 26.338 million men and women in the EU were unemployed in February 2013. The number of persons unemployed increased by 76.000 in the EU (Source: Eurostat).
Digitalization and creativity are powerful weapons. Let’s use them in the battle against unemployment.
diy days Ghent 2013 is meant to explore ways in which we can implement digitalization and creativity to decrease unemployment.
>> Register now to get in <<