As Katrien Barrat said, there is still place for The Ultimate Dream App making Surface unmissable if you solve real consumer problems and contribute to what really matters.
What do you think about the app ideas our speakers proposed that night?
- Teresa Fernandez-Gil: Healty eating and living -
vote here to get this app developed
- Julie Van den Kerchove: Raw living, cooking & coaching. Her app in a nutshell: Weekly menu planning, Daily recipes, Nutritional details, Practical tips, Product information -
vote here to get this app developed
- Marcia O’Regan: Color / Chakra Therapy -
vote here to get this app developed
- Michel Schwarz: Gratitude / Happiness Inside with an app that helped you share your moments of gratitude, learnings and benefits. -
vote here to get this app developed
And what about those 15 yoga mats?
Tell us below in the comments which app you’d vote for, or what other Dream App you’d propose to Microsoft. On 30 March, we’ll contact the 15 first ones with a valid Dream App for further handling.
Do you make things? The Ubuntu Women team is running a competition to find outstanding projects made by women and connected in some way to Ubuntu. Write about what you have done (with pictures) and email your entry to email@example.com and they will publish it on the Ubuntu Women team blog. They will take a fairly broad interpretation of “making things” they could be physical things or more abstract, and they’ll accept fairly tenuous links to Ubuntu. The deadline for submissions is Ada Lovelace day, 7th October. Some examples of what you might make would include
- Neat new applications running on Ubuntu
- Cookies, Cakes or Cocktails with an Ubuntu theme
- Robots programmed or designed on Ubuntu
- Arduino powered circuits designed and programmed on Ubuntu
- Something musical or artistic with Ubuntu tools
- Something utterly different to surprise and delight us
During #BGGD45 the battle for the Sony Tablets was fierce. Eventually we had 4 winners.
But there was yet another tablet to win, with a haiku contest. This is the winning tweet, by @LoreDierickx.
Lore, if you read this: email/DM your post address to Clo so Sony can take care of the handling and delivery of your Tablet./
Very curious what their experiences with the Sony Tablet are. If you find any girl geek reviews, please post them in the comments.
i.materialise is a creation and 3Dprinting service that enables people with a creative mind to create unique, customised and beautiful products. The girl geeks visited them in their early days, back in november 2009. Many of the girl geeks envisioned using the technology to create unique jewelry pieces.
Well, the 3D printed jewels have arrived. More and more designers worldwide are using 3Dprinting to create wonderful pieces of art. We would like to present a couple of those on the next Girl Geeks night. We look forward to your feedback. Enjoy girls!
Tonight, at the reception desk, there are 25 freshly printed 3D jewels – just for the ladies. Please pick one as you arrive and let us all know on Twitter, Facebook, your blog etc what you think of it!
All you need to do is to be present and participative.
Interesting, but what is it?
The HTC 7 Trophy is a Windows Phone 7 smartphone from HTC that will get you into the game! Check out all the things you can do with this gaming phone with full Xbox LIVE integration.
Remember the 19th edition of Brussels Girl Geek Dinners (on Wed 18 November 2009 with @designarenas and @imaterialise as the speakers)? .MGX, Materialise’s high end design label for 3D printed furniture and lamps, just opened the world’s first physical store for 3D printed goods in Brussels’ exclusive Sablon district.
- Between 1 and 15 January, put your idea of the perfect individualised Appear Lamp somewhere public online (e.g. on your blog). Include
- What your message would be (max 140 characters)
- What the top text would be (max 24 characters)
- Link back to this blog post and/or Tweet about it, so it shows up in the Comments/Reactions section of this blog post. Post manually as a comment to this blog post if that doesn’t happen automatically. Let me know if by any chance Disqus ate your comment and we’ll fix that asap.
- The Comment or Reaction to this blog post that got the most “Likes” on 16 January at 07:00 CET. In case of a draw, a jury consisting of Clo Willaerts and Joris Peels (Community Manager at i.materialise) decide who wins.
This afternoon we’ll open registrations for another great BGGD road trip (to Paris, on 5 & 6 October, in ten brand new cars).
But first: a little contest for all those who can’t join us. During the BGGD road trip, the girl geeks will try out how many of them fit into a Jazz (with its doors closed). The first one to guess the correct number below in the comments can have the new Honda Jazz for one weekend – as soon as it’s launched in Belgium somewhere in Spring 2011. We’ll be able to see who won on 6 October, when the girly car geeks get back from their Paris trip.
this is where we got the idea from:
What the jury liked:
- Nice app that combines various functions of the phone (maybe combined with GPS)
- We are going to the vacation time here you can Talk to your whole family at the same time a great new way to communicating
- the app is social but e.g. in your family and it combines voice with a twitter like function.
Congrats, @vromant !
Don’t forget: Nokia E72 + 1yr TelenetConnect and SonyEricsson Xperia X10 contests deadline next week
We still have 2 awesome contests running:
SonyEricsson Xperia X10 touchscreen Android mobile phone – ends on Thursday 10 June
Nokia E72 Symbian smartphone + 1 year free TelenetConnect – ends on Friday 11 June
Symbian + wordwide connectivity, or Android + touchscreen: up to you!
Now it’s time to hear about your plans and dreams!
What are your motivations to become a digital nomad? In about a month, on Friday 11 June, a jury of Telenet representatives will pick the most inspiring motivation. You can publish you motivation anywhere you like (your own blog, in the comments to this post, on Twitter) but make sure we can trace them: put a link back to http://www.brusselsgirlgeekdinner.be/?p=601 and http://www.telenetconnect.be/.
What is TelenetConnect?
With a single TelenetConnect account you have unlimited worldwide access to more than 140,000 hotspots worldwide in airports, cafés, restaurants, traffic hubs and many other handy locations, for a fixed monthly fee. If there’s no wireless network available you can access the Internet via your home network, via Ethernet (mostly hotels) or even via a dial-up line. TelenetConnect runs on your Mac, Netbook and on your Nokia, iPhone or Blackberry or any other mobile device – all at the same time.
SE-dot is the Sony Ericsson platform where you can share ideas for phone functionalities or applications that you would love to have. Share your most crazy or revolutionary idea on the platform, promote it and let other people comment on it. In about a month, on Thursday 10 June, a jury of Belgian Sony Ericsson representatives will pick the most popular and inspiring idea. The winner gets to take home an Xperia™ X10. Don’t forget to post a link to your idea in the comments!
They have get high on fumes, have lots of fun, and even fall in love. More details:
- Ik ben verliefd! by @eveliendb at eveliendb.com.
- We are all the Stig by @bnox at bnox.be.
- Flickr set TopGearLive in Amsterdam by CWillaerts
- The secret ingredients (to seduce a man) by @imkedielen at imkedielen.wordpress.com.
- Facebook foto’s van Imke Dielen.
- Imke Dielen’s video’s: Top Gear Live – football, Top Gear Live – motor, Top Gear Live – fire, and Top Gear Live – the start.
Brussels Girl Geek Dinners have been totally spoilt lately! Here’s a round up of recent sponsor contests, and the girls who won:
- Win an Anne-Sophie party dress: won by La Fie en Rose (@Fielosophie) with A goodie outfit for Clo! Thank you Anne-Sophie
- Win 10 entries to Weight Watchers meetings: won by Witch (@Gudrun) with Weight Watchers. Thank you Weight Watchers!
- Win a ticket to Top Gear Live in Amsterdam on January 24th: won by Imke Dielen (@ImkeDielen) with Gierende banden en blutsen in de Lamborghini and by Eveliendb (@Eveliendb) with Mijn geschiedenis met auto’s. Thank you Dunlop!
Dunlop is proud sponsor of the Amsterdam edition of Top Gear Live – a thundering show filled with the roar and smoke of the world’s fastest cars and jaw-dropping stunts under the watchful eye of three grown men that talk of little else besides cars, performance, speed and someone’s supposedly whitened teeth. With this travelling show, “the boys”, give every car fan the opportunity to spend an evening on what really matters: cars.
Dunlop offers two car-loving Geek Girls the opportunity to experience the spectacle up close and personal! We’re giving away two tickets to the last European edition of the show on Sunday January 24th in Amsterdam.
As one of the world’s leading manufacturers of high and ultra-high performance tires, Dunlop’s name is inextricably linked to motorsport. The technologies that the company develops for use on the world’s leading circuits are also found in the tires it makes for everyday motoring. It is no surprise then that many of the world’s leading vehicle manufacturers, including Alfa Romeo, AMG, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche, fit Dunlop as standard.
Also itching to be in Amsterdam on the 24th?
Here’s what you need to do:
1) Write a blog post before January 21st. Make sure it contains the correct answers to these three questions:
- Of which international race, that takes place from 14 – 16 January, is Dunlop title sponsor?
- Which Dunlop ultra high performance tire contains Kevlar® in the apex of the tire?
- Which Dunlop winter tire was named ‘Testsieger’ in the 2009 winter tire test conducted by German automotive magazine AutoZeiting?
Also make sure to convince the Dunlop people in a few sentences why you ABSOLUTELY have to be there on the 24th!
Wanting to lose the kilos from your mother’s Christmas turkey? Or just wanting to find a healthy way of life by better controlling your alimentation?
Weight Watchers is giving away 10 free entrances to the meeting of your choice! You will be amongst the first to discover its brand-new ProPoints Program!
How to participate?
Write a blog post, completing this story:
‘Your mother has prepared a delicious but sooooooooo calorific Christmas meal… She would really be hurt if you didn’t participate to this orgy! But you really don’t want to see it fixed on your ankles for months (or more!). You have no choice, you cannot escape it… unless you…’
How will you get out of that situation? Give us your solution on your blog! The entries will be judged on the following criteria: humor, originality and visuals.
Make sure to put a link to this blog post in yours, so we can see you participated in the trackback.
You can participate until the 31st of December.
Short personal note: it’s almost Christmas and New Year, and I haven’t got a thing to wear. As the girl geeks at Brussels Girl Geek Dinner #21 at Anne-Sophie will remember, the Anne-Sophie team has helped me to pick out three sets of party clothes. Here they are:
Time for a little contest!
- I win: the set of clothes that was chosen by you. Yes, you! Write a blog post linking to this one, in which you elaborate on why I should pick set 1, set 2 or set 3. I will comply to whatever the most convincing majority tells me to.
- Who else wins? The Smartshopping experts over at Anne-Sophie will have a look at all the incoming links below this post and pick one winner who has
1) the most original arguments on what I should wear
2) a link to Anne-Sophie
3) if you were at BGGD #21, what you thought of the colour advice / hair make-over / …
This winner (boy or girl, but has to live in Belgium) gets a voucher of 125 euros worth to spend in one of the Anne-Sophie shops. To give you an idea: it’s called Smartshopping because the dresses are hand picked because of their stylishness but just as well because they are reasonably priced. Your chances of finding a pretty dress for around 125 euros at Anne Sophie are pretty high!
Contest closes in 1 week: on Thursday 24 December Anne-Sophie will announce the winner on this blog so make sure to post before that date.
Remember the 19th edition of Brussels Girl Geek Dinners , the one with @designarenas and @imaterialise as the speakers? We launched a Facebook contest shortly afterwards, with even more design prizes to win. And here are the winners:
- Ann Marcelis won the vases
- Lien de Leenheer won a market tote
- Elvire van Ooteghem, Gudrun Rombaut, and Inge Mestdagh each won a bravit candle
Oh, and one more thing: if you’re in trouble finding a holiday gifts, do yourself a favour and get them at http://arenascollection.com.
The 19th edition of Brussels Girl Geek Dinners (on Wed 18 November 2009 18:00-21:30, with @designarenas and @imaterialise as the speakers) totally wowed the girl geeks who were present. To give you an idea, this is what @gudrun (witch.be) wrote:
Ik ben erin geslaagd misschien wel de coolste prijs van allemaal weg te kapen (al was die lamp die Ploempje won ook niet mis): een gepersonaliseerde armband van iMaterialise. Ik mag een eigen ontwerp doorgeven, of eigen textuur of tekst of whatever, en zij zullen het naar een 3Dmodel omzetten en uitprinten, en daarna laten verzilveren. Hoe cool is dat zeg!
Click away to the the i.materialise Facebook page to enter the contest. Some examples of the prizes to be won below.