Have a look at some of the tweets and pictures over at Storify.
What’s a BGGD without goodies?? Find out here what you’re going to get, not from santa claus but from our wonderful sponsors!
- Bruges City Card & visitor guide (offered by Toerisme Brugge)
- Visit of the Historium (offered by Historium Brugge)
- UX Sketchbook and other goodies (offered by Microsoft)
- 15% discount for a weekend stay at one of the charming Belfort Hotels (offered by vzw Belfort Hotels)
- Goodies offered by Business Brugge
With thanks to cosponsors RESOC Brugge and Provincie West-Vlaanderen.
Important! Don’t forget to bring business cards. We will draw a BGGD55 winner for the weekend in Bruges prize offered by the Belfort Hotels!
See you there!
Our phones and tablets, even laptops and televisions: they’re finally becoming really interactive, with touch surfaces everywhere. And now Windows 8 has arrived, a revolutionized update of windows, with primary focus: touch.
The 55th BGGD is all about that. We are introducting Windows 8, what a day with windows 8 would look like, how sleek and cool the interface looks and how the store needs apps for you, the ladies.
Plus: we got a really cool location: the brand new Historium museum, right on the market square in Bruges!
We got room for 50 girl geeks this time. If you want to bring your sacoche (male guest), please have him register on the Twikilist too.
- 10:30-16:00 Pick up Bruges City Card at JCI Kersthuisje (Simon Stevinplein -
Christmas Market) (FREE admission to 26 museums, places of interest and attractions
- 16:30-16:50 Girl geeks gather at the Historium museum (Grote Markt 1, 8000 Bruges)
- 16:50-18:00 Historium guided tour (in 3 groups)
- 18:00: Welcome at the Duvelorium Grand Beer café with a drink
- 18:15-18u30: Windows 8 sessions:
18:30-19:00: A day with Windows 8 (Katrien De Graeve, Microsoft)
19:00-19:15: UX for Windows 8 (Leslie Cottenje, Pureplexity)
19:15-19:30: Apps for Windows 8 (Elise Daans, 2IT/App Story)
- 19u30-21u: networking with walking dinnerWhere? Grote Markt 1, 8000 Bruges
Sponsors – big thank you to:
- Toerisme Brugge
- Historium Brugge
- Aventix (audiovisuele support)
- JCI Brugge (Next@Bruges)
Afterwards we can all stay and chat at the christmas market, where gluwein, jenever, irish coffee and more sweet drinks is all around!
I’ve storified some of the Tweets and pictures from the Girl Geek Dinner earlier this week.
Tonight, at #BGGD54, we will enjoy food from Exki DeliVery: ‘natural and fresh’ sandwiches and salads that you can order for breakfasts, meetings and events.
So. What’s in the goodie bag?
- A nice bottle of wine, offered by LifeLabs. What’s special about this bottle is the Likify tag attached to it. Likify is a service that gives real life objects a share button. Just scan the NFC sticker and ‘like’ or ‘share’ the bottle on Twitter or Facebook!
- Haacht Mystic fruit beer. Mystic brings out the essence of white beer: thirst-quenching, with a full, pleasant taste. Enjoy!
- A Shedeals voucher to buy some nice promotions at an even lower price
- A ‘wallet 2.0’ from SecrID
- A game offered by EA Games
We all know Rumble, or rather Ruzzle, Wordfeud, Draw Something,.. Popular social games that entertain thousands of people.
Boondoggle LifeLabs are Belgian online entrepreneurs that developed an exciting and fun new social game that in many aspects is renewing the concept of social gaming.
And 25 girl geeks + sacoche will be the first to discover and play this new social game. So ladies, don’t forget to charge the battery of your smartphone!
Excited? Then register on our Twikilist: 25 girl geeks and their sacochen can join.
The 54th edition in a nutshell:
Date: Tuesday 25 September 2012
- 19h00-19h30: Welcome drink + food
- 19h30-19h45 : EA Games weerockets - an iPad and iPhone game that lets kids build their
own rockets, launch them into space and race through the asteroid field to
rescue the aliens.
- 19h45-20h00: Wallet 2.0, door SecrID
- 19h45-20h00 : A new social game: YouKnowMe
- 20h00-22h00 : Drinks & Goodie Bag
Where? At Boondoggle LifeLabs, Vaartkom 31/09, 3000 Leuven
Breakfast is mercifully only at 10.30 am. After that, courtesy of VisitOostende, we’re going to walk in the footsteps of Marvin Gaye.
A bit background:
14 February 1981. Marvin Gaye arrives by ferry in Ostend, together with his little boy, Bubby. It marks the start of a fascinating story about Ostend, Marvin Gaye and the relationship between the two.
This documentary walk through the city tells you everything about his comeback and how the monster hit song “Sexual Healing” came to life.
Apart from the voice of Marvin Gaye, there are also interviews with Freddie Cousaert, Mike Butcher and many others. The introduction to the walk is given by none other than Jamie Lidell. He is the ideal representative of a whole new generation of soul musicians, for whom Marvin Gaye was strongly influential.
This year’s is the sixth edition of Filmfestival Ostend, and we’ll be looking up at the stars during the Opening Night on 7 September. The only thing we have to worry about is what to wear.
The opening film is Little Black Spiders, by director Patrice Troye. The setting of Little Black Spiders is Belgium, 1978. Katja, Roxy and a number of other lively girls are too young for love and… pregnant. They are brought to a secret place where they have to sit out the pregnancy until the birth. Here’s the trailer:
There are ten rooms booked just for us at the Mondo Hotel in Ostend. Make sure to check in before 7 PM and don’t underestimate the distance to Ostend if you arrive straight from work.
Léon Spilliaertstraat 1
This is very close to the beach boulevard, and about 1,2 km to Kinepolis Ostend, where we’re expected later that night for FilmFestival Ostend opening night. Since we’ll be in high heels, I suggest sharing a cab or assign a bob.
The hotel itself looks absolutely lovely. From their website:
This totally refurbished, 3-star plus hotel has recently reopened as a hip and trendy art deco hotel. Located at a stone’s throw away from Ostend’s sea front, casino, centre and beach, this lovely hotel is “the place to be” in Ostend.
The magnificent Art Deco building dates from 1928 and provides a dose of nostalgia with a dash of modern comfort and a brilliant radiance. The Mondo team look forward to meeting you for both short and long stays. You could stay in one of our cosy rooms, superior rooms or a family suite up to maximum 5 persons. Inspiring meetings can be held in one of our pleasant meeting suites.
The stay over editions of Brussels Girl Geek dinner (remember London? Remember Paris?) are always my favourite. I hope you’re still available on Friday 7 and Saturday 8 September, because we’re going to have a fabulous 53rd edition!
Friday 7 September:
- between 14:00-19:00: check in at Hotel Mondo, “the place where today and yesterday fell madly in love”
- 20:00: Film Festival Oostende opening night
Saturday 8 September:
- 10.30 am : Coffee & Breakfast
- 11.00 a.m : Marvin Gaye Digital Walkumentary. This documentary walk through the city will tell you all there is to know about Marvin Gaye’s comeback and how the monster hit song “Sexual Healing” came to life
20 girl geeks who register through the Twikilist. Sorry, girls only this time!
The Beer Edition was a big succes! Check out our Storified collection of tweets and mobile pictures.
What’s in the goodie bag?
The story so far:
- Beer chocolates “Gouden Arend” from brouwerij De Rijk
- Foldable shopping bag, recipe book and e-voucher from John Martin
- Bottle opener Grand Cru from St Feuillien
- Desperados bandana
- Liefmans gadget
- Lefebvre ball point
- Bike seat cover and biking guide from Gouden Carolus
- Brasserie Du Bocq brochure
This is what we’re giving away during the girl geek dinner:
- Leather briefcase with assorted beers, cheeses, bottles and tasting glasses from Ter Dolen
- Desperados ice bucket and three tasting glasses
- 10 tickets for the beer tasting and food pairing sessions during Beer Weekend in September
- Books, a.o. Jong Keukengeweld
- Free entrance tickets for the Beer Museum
Besides are three speakers, six more brewery professionals will attend our girl geek dinner: Anne De Ryck (De Ryck), Laure Van Sluys (Duvel Moortgat), Dominique Friart (St-Feuillien), Sofie Fiers (Alken Maes), Mieke Desplenter (Ter Dolen), Nathalie Eloir (Abbaye Des Rocs), and Sophie Vercamme (John Martin).
Special guest star is beer blogger Sofie Vanrafelghem (@SVanrafelghem) of www.vrouwenenbier.be and www.facebook.com/VrouwenEnBier. In her Twitter bio, she describes herself as “Passionate about gastronomy and beer | Co-author 100x proeven van Straffe streekbieren | hobbybrewer / beerauthor / traveljournalist | beertastings”
And last but not least there’s beer sommelier Anneke Rijkers, who will guide us through the beer tasting and food pairing.
This is what we’ll be tasting:
Our three speakers at the 52nd edition of Brussels Girl Geek Dinner are all female, and all beer professionals:
Rosa Merckx, Liefmans (Oudenaarde)
Cult brewery Liefmans was founded in 1679 and was based in the centre of Oudenaarde until it moved to its present site on the banks of the Schelde in 1933. In the 1970s and 80s, Liefmans achieved a greater public profile thanks to the tireless work of its manager, Rose Blancquaert-Merckx, a former ballet dancer. “Madame Rose” eventually retired from the brewery to run a restaurant in the town that featured the local dish carbonade flamande – beef stewed cooked with Oud Bruin.
Miek Van Melkebeke, sales at Brouwerij De Ryck (Herzele)
As we’re a small team at De Ryck everybody wears several hats. But especially in the future i’ll focus more and more on the sales and public relations part, from to local to the world wide market. Since we just started our beer in bottles, this creates a lot of opportunities and off course extra work, but we believe in our products and consider the sky the limit.
Els Van Itterbeeck, promotion at Het Anker (Mechelen)
My official title is “commercial employee”, but my task consists mainly of promoting and marketing the concept of our brewery and distillery to a wide audience.
To Het Anker, brewing beer is a total experience (and soon whiskey experience) in the broad sense of the word.
Just a quick note that registrations for the 52nd edition of Brussels Girl Geek Dinner have just opened. This time, on Wednesday 20 June, about 60 girl geeks will taste and try Belgian beers and the finger food that goes with them. Register through http://twikilist.com/BGGD52 to get in for free!
We’re still filling in the details about the speakers (all of them female and beer professionals), but in the meanwhile, here’s the building where we’ll be holding the Girl Geek Dinner: the Brewers’ House right on Brussels’ Grand’Place. From beerparadise.be:
The brewers’ guild, founded in the 14th century, buys the “Gulden Boom” premises at the end of the 16th century. In 1695, however, the French army bombs the city of Brussels under Field Marshal de Villeroi. Most houses on the Grand-Place are destroyed. The brewers, however, decide to finance the reconstruction of their house and commission architect Willem De Bruyn to do so.
In 1951 the Belgian brewers’ association moves back into the house that had been built under the guild patronage two hundred and fifty years earlier, thus giving back its initial function to the former “Gulden Boom”.
The Union of Belgian Brewers, uniting all the breweries in the country, has made the old vaulted basements into a national brewers’museum.
McDonald’s Belgium has offered to host the 51st edition of the Brussels Girl Geek Dinner. They proudly invite the Girl Geeks to their flagship restaurant in Waterloo. Not only will you be able to inspect the restaurants decor, a smart combination of sustainability and advanced technology, McDonald’s will also pamper us with a futur trends presentation by Fons Van Dyck, a tasty dinner and a look behind the kitchen doors. Some of the things they’ll put in the goodie bag for us:
- McWrap, McParfait
- USB stick
- Smoothie Chiquita
- Smile key chain hanger
Katchoo.be is a brand new web store by fellow girl geek @goedles. Katchoo.be sells rubber boots for everyone, or every taste, for every occasion (yes, even for a wedding!) and for every budget. In the goodie bag, courtesy of Katchoo.be:
- Flower seeds
- A 10% voucher on your next Katchoo.be purchase
By the way: have a good hard look at the attendees list at http://twikilist.com/BGGD51
There are almost 25 girls on the waiting list. So if you can’t make it tomorrow night, take your name off the list or ask me to do it for you.
Sorry it took as a bit longer as usual, but here’s all you need to know about our next Brussels Girl Geek Dinner.
In a hurry?
Is the future white or yellow? Musings about recession vs female trends
- 18:30 Welcome drinks & finger food
- 19:00 Welcome and intro by Stephan De Brouwer, Managing Director of McDonald’s Belgium
- 19.20 Speaker Fons Van Dyck, Branding and Communications Expert. Topic: Trends in society, fashion and marketing.
- 20:00 Dinner & networking
- 22:00 Grab the goodie bag and go home!
Brussels · http://www.think.bbdo.be
Wednesday the 9th of May
50 girl geeks who register through this Twikilist. Sorry, girls only this time!